When people think of in-home care services, they likely picture an older woman living alone in a single family home who has a single caregiver visit as needed. While that may fit with most of the statistics—women live longer than men, people prefer to age in the homes they have known and loved for years—in-home care can be delivered in a variety of settings.
- In-home care might be just one solution when a person needs assistance. Perhaps a senior is attending adult-day care services and they need a ride to and from with someone who can also help with getting ready to go or get a meal started when they return home. The services aren’t limited to inside a dwelling, but include transportation as needed.
- Assisted living can be the best solution for someone living with a certain condition or if there is no family available to help out around the house. Yet personal care services are not necessarily included for the price of a room and meals, so additional help may be needed. Many assisted living facilities work symbiotically with local in-home care providers to help with things like bathing, dressing, and grooming that are not included.
- While the name independent living implies a lack of need for assistance, in fact people may still need help with those things that aren’t included in the price from housekeeping to medication management.
- We hear so many stories of a caregiver and care recipient spending a day out fishing, at the zoo, at a car show—often things that occur when a loved one is at work and not available. Professional in-home care is available for these types of meaningful outings and experiences where their relationships can blossom.
- It doesn’t matter if someone lives with their spouse, a roommate, or another loved one and whether they live in an apartment or a house; in-home care is still an option for the person in need and can provide respite (a break) for the other member of the household.
Just as people of all ages and abilities have different interests and strengths, in-home care can occur in a diverse array of places.