A growing number of Americans are making family caregiving a primary activity. The statistics are sobering:
- Over 20% of adults report providing some level of care to their family. Family Caregiving is Common!
- Over 50% of these Caregivers have provided care for two years or longer. Family Caregiving is Permanent!
- Approximately 20% of these caregivers are themselves seniors over the age of 65!
Family Caregivers Need a Hand – We Can Help!!
Connecticut Adult Family Living (AFL) is a state-funded program that will pay family members to care for aging family members. It is another option for families to defray the cost of care for elderly family members and to assist them in e living where, how, and with whom they choose. Many family members do not realize that they can be compensated for what they are already doing. This is especially true for those caring for a loved one with dementia, where the level of care provided has increased slowly over the past few years.
The program is administered by one of the five local Agencies on Aging. You can find your agency here.
Payments received through the Connecticut Adult Family Living program are TAX-FREE to anyone who qualifies. Homewatch CareGivers of Guilford is an approved participant in this program. We are committed to assisting families in providing care for their loved ones. Please find the benefits of taking part in this program below:
Benefits For the Care Recipient
- Care provided in their own home
- Care provided by a trusted person who is fully familiar with their needs
- Having their caregiver live in their home
- Support from a highly respected homecare agency
- Freedom from worrying about payroll taxes, liability insurance, workman’s compensation, and other issues
Benefits For the Caregiver
- Tax-Free income
- Peace of mind that their loved one is receiving the best possible care
- A relationship with an agency that can provide supplemental or respite care when needed
- Support from trained and caring professionals
- The ability to call our phones for support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.. A member of our staff is always available to talk, so no need to worry about voicemails or answering services.
The AFL program is open to Connecticut residents statewide who are eligible for the Connecticut Home Care Program for Elders (CHCPE) or the Personal Care Assistance (PCA) program. To qualify, applicants must meet certain criteria, including :
- Being a CT resident who is at least 65 years old
- Need assistance with activities of daily living
- The caregiver be at least 18 years old, live in the home with the senior, and cannot be a spouse
- Must meet the state’s financial criteria
Eligibility for the program and the level of care is determined by the state’s Agencies on Aging. The details of the program can be found here.
We Are Your Resource!!
Homewatch CareGivers of Guilford has a network of service providers statewide that can assist families in caring for loved ones at home. We can recommend several professionals, including individuals to help you apply for the program, medical equipment companies, rehabilitation specialists, and companies who can provide assistance to Connecticut elders who are aging in place.
Please contact us at (203) 402-8966 or at firstname.lastname@example.org