Our Hiring Process
The Caregiver Way
To our clients and their families, our in home caregivers are reliable and compassionate assistants who can help with daily activities like meal preparation, light housekeeping, going to doctor appointments and more while also giving loved ones needed respite care. To us, our employees at Homewatch CareGivers of Annapolis, are valuable assets making a difference in the lives of our fellow community members. When we hire an Alzheimer caregiver or other care team member, we go through many steps to make sure this job will be beneficial to all involved.
Steps to Becoming a Caregiver
It’s pretty standard for job applicants to provide references and agree to background checks, but when it comes to the personal nature of senior care we know that these verifications are absolutely mandatory. Before we hire a caregiver and send them to a client’s home, we do the following:
- Multi-state and federal criminal background checks
- Perform a state-required background check (CJIS)
- Require a clean drug test
- Require fingerprinting
- Require proof of TB/PPD examination
- Call professional references to ensure that previous employment is accurate and get a sense of their character at a former job
- Verify that the applicant is 21 years of age
- Verify that the applicant is a Certified Nurse Aide (CNA), Home Health Aide (HHA), Medical Tech (MT), or Geriatric Nursing Aide (GNA), as required by the state of Maryland, and has three years of experience.
- Verify that the applicant has current CPR and First Aid training