South Orange Hiring Process
The Caregiver Way
What could be more important to a caregiving business than the caregivers themselves? We know they matter tremendously and that’s why we have created a hiring and onboarding process that sets everyone involved up for success. You might be looking for more meaningful and flexible work, or you could be interested in knowing how we select caregivers if you are about to become a client. Either way, we’re sharing the details for you here.
Steps to Becoming a Caregiver
At Homewatch CareGivers of South Orange, New Jersey, we apply the same standards to every employee. In our state, a home health aide requires certification as a New Jersey CHHA (Certified Home Health Aide). Owner Larry Aronson, along with Director of Nursing Stacey Chusid, and the Director of Staffing and Scheduling Celina Robinson, all engage with newly hired caregivers during their orientation and in this way get to know them when it comes time to honor them for excellent service or schedule them with clients.
Background checks and medical clearance are key to being part of this team:
- State and federal criminal background checks
- Annual TB screening (double PPD test)
- Driver’s license check
- Professional reference checks
Every caregiver takes a competency exam to confirm the following skills:
- Able to assist client to chair, to ambulate, to transfer
- Knows hand hygiene and how to don and remove gloves
- How to give a sponge bath and shampoo
- How to execute routine oral care and denture care
- Check for vital signs (temperature, pulse, respirations and blood pressure)